Friday, July 15

D.I.Y.F.

I've been trying to find a return rod for the shower curtain in the basement bathroom at the lake for a reasonable price. All the economical ones were u.g.l.y. (you ain't got no alibi...elementary school, anyone?) The only one that I really liked was custom made, iron...and $$ (for a shower curtain at our lakehouse). 
 Everything this company made was really, very pretty...
As I was browsing though BlackHawk Hardware this afternoon, looking for toilet paper holder, hooks and curtain rods, I wandered onto the plumbing aisle and decided then and there that I would just make them all. Remember the lamps that Julia Roberts makes in Runaway Bride? I like her.

With the help of some men who knew what they were doing I got all the parts to make the return rod and toilet paper holder:


the rod:
3/4" x 60" galvanized steel pipe
(2) 3/4" 90 degree galvanized elbows
(2) 3/4" galvanized floor flange
(2) 3/4"x 2" galvanized nipple

the t.p. holder:
3/8" galvanized floor flange
3/8" 90 degree galvanized elbow
3/8" x 2" galvanized nipple
3/8" x 6" galvanized nipple

(I had first grabbed the black iron pieces but was informed that the "black" was oil based and would never stop rubbing off (as they gestured to my blackened hands). They said to use the galvanized pieces, wipe them down with rubbing alcohol and paint them whatever color I wanted. )

DIY TP Holder (using the 3/8" parts)
So simple no words are required ... four-handed furry friends are helpful



 I'm going to have to get ol' muscles in here to finish screwing the parts together...tada!


DIY Return Rod


In the supply list I have written down (2) 3/4"x 2" galvanized nipples. In the pictures I have used 3" nipples, but when it was assembled the rod stuck out almost 5 inches...too far. I plan on replacing the 3" nipples with 1" or 2" nipples so that the entire rod only sticks out about 3 inches from the wall (screwing them all the way together will also help...come home, Muscles).

Price for return rod parts: $52.93

3/4" x 60" galvanized steel pipe - $27.99
(2) 3/4" 90 degree galvanized elbows - $5.98
(2) 3/4" galvanized floor flange - $13.98
(2) 3/4"x 3" galvanized nipple - $4.98 (will go down when I exchange for shorter length)

Price for T.P. holder parts: $16.46


3/8" galvanized floor flange - $4.99
3/8" 90 degree galvanized elbow - $1.99
3/8" x 2" galvanized nipple - $4.99
3/8" x 6" galvanized nipple - $4.49

To see everything thats been happening over at the lake house until now click here

2 comments:

Heather said...

Um, my HUSBAND works at BlackHawk. Did you know that? was one of the very helpful hardware men there reallllllly cute??? If so, then it was probably Erik :)

Justine said...

Mayhap it's just too late on a Friday night for my brain to function, but what is a "return rod"? How is it different from a good ol' shower curtain rod?
Are you going to paint them, or just leave them as-is? I LOVE your creativity!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails